3.20.2007

You're a heart-breacher

I've been going through the PMBR flashcards at work because work is boring and the flashcards are a lot less obvious than a big book... So I'm on contracts today and I find it funny that one of the contract types subject to the Statute of Frauds, is a marriage contract- specifically where a person promises consideration to another for the latter's promise to marry the former. Now, I remember reading a few cases in Family Law where people sued for broken engagements and what not and understand that a lot of common law is quite arcane, but what makes me laugh here is how hard PMBR tried to apply this rule to a modern situation in their example:

"A orally promised to give 1,000 shares of IBM stock to B, if she would marry him. B accepted A's offer. If A subsequently changed his mind and declined to marry B, A's promise to deliver the sotck would not be enforceable under the Statute of Frauds."

Seriously, was IBM stock really around in the days when these types of contracts were actually sued upon? SERIOUSLY?!?

3 comments:

biff said...

I find that when I post about the law, I remember it better.

Alexis said...

you and your puns...=)

Blonde Blogger said...

Try this book for the MBE's....

Strategies and Tactics for the MBE by Kimm Walton and Steve Emanuel. Had a lot of great tips for each of the 6 subjects......