4.15.2007

One month to the start of bar prep...

It's been a busy few days on the bar prep front:

FRIDAY: Drove to Davis. (Yes, that is where I go to school, but I worked the system so that I could do a full time externship this semester in Fresno where I will be doing bar prep and working post-bar.) Professor Fessler (Contracts PMBR Lecturer) and I don't quite see eye to eye on the village full of happy bicyclists he so loves. I tend to think it's a tiny village full of rich people masquerading as liberals but then refusing the development of affordable housing in their village. But I digress. So I had to drive to Davis for an award interview and to tie up some loose ends before graduation. I used the 6 hours in the car to finish the evidence PMBR Cds and begin the Con Law set. Mr. Con Law is so far just as scintillating as Mr. Evidence, which isn't saying much. I also discovered that our library has on reserve the full PMBR CD set including wills, trusts, and criminal procedure- three sets that do not come with the course. Unfortunately, I discovered this late in the afternoon and was only able to rip wills to my computer before I had to leave. Oh well- maybe I'll have another chance- if not, I think I'll survive.

SATURDAY: My long awaited first installment of my bar study loan came from the morons at Sallie Mae. Husband and I headed straight to Costco, where we've been eyeing their laptop selection. You see, my Dell has survived 3 years of law school, but come out quite battered and bruised. The screen no longer stays open without propping it against something and can actually separate from the entire unit altogether if I so desire. None of the arrow keys work and that paralysis is slowly taking over the lower left quadrant of my keyboard. So long story short, the bar exam deserves better. And so do I! My new laptop is a glorious Hewlett Packard model. I don't know all the specs- just that my computer engineer husband approved, so that's good enough for me. Tomorrow I will attempt to register it with Examsoft. The examsoft website now says that Vista is ok... I'm a little skeptical, but I guess we'll see. I'm also a little concerned about battery life. Best guess is that mine has 3 hours in it... but that's sort of risky. So I think we'll splurge and get the $130 12-cell ion-lithium battery that doubles that battery life and quickens the recharge time. What are others doing about this problem? And more importanty, What would the Energizer Bunny do?

SUNDAY: Listening to my con law CDs on the way to church this morning, the lecturer went on a bit of a side note tirade about how to study/practice multiple choice questions. He recommends doing 50 at a time in 90 minute intervals and specifically not reading each answer after doing each question. Now this is quite in conflict to how John Talamo has been telling me to master the MBE. Talamo says you should start off 'studying' the MBE by reading each answer fully after doing the question and then building up to timing yourself. Opinions?

In other important news, I beat the medium level of Guitar Hero 2 and began playing on hard. We have also acquired a second guitar controller so the hubby and I can play face-offs. If this whole lawyer/bar exam thing doesn't work out, the Mr. and I will just become rock stars.

Off to work out and listen to more about the dormant commerce clause...

3 comments:

biff said...

Well, I've been doing about 3 questions and then checking. This saves me from reading the question over again. Frankly it's impossible to simulate a real MBE test with the PMBR book b/c the questions are separated by subject.

Now with 110% more bitter! said...

Two notes... 1) I think I may be in love with Fessler now that I've listened to a good chunk of his PMBR CDs. 2) I'm all about about the 1 question at a time approach with the MBE questions, then increasing the number as the Mastering the MBE book suggests. But maybe that's just because I have the retention ability of a goldfish.

Irene M. said...

I'm kind of surprised that anyone can make a Dell last 3 years! That's talent! I got my bar loan through Sallie Mae also (as well as most of my other loans), and their correspondence and "customer service" leaves... well, something to be desired!