5.24.2007

Somebody get Sawyer a Lawyer

Did anyone else watch the Lost season finale last night? Could anyone else not help but to analyze the various torts and defenses presented? Here's a sampling...

* Dynamite in the tents- Certainly a battery committed against the Others. And yeah, I'm gonna go with not an acceptable defense of property- no deadly force in defense of property. They could possibly make an argument for defense of others since the Others were coming for the women... but deadly force may not have been reasonable because we don't really know what the Others were going to do with them. There were also some issues with immediacy.

* Desmond shooting the brunette Other in the underwater station... I'd go with a strong defense of others for Desmond if he is sued for battery.

* Hurley in the VW van.... he definitely committed battery on those unlucky Others, but probably has a valid defense of others.

* Sayed snapping the Other's neck... was deadly force warranted? I'd say possibly...

* As for Sawyer... as the title suggests, that guy needs a lawyer. Shooting Tom after he surrendered was completely not self-defense.

Too bad public necessity is only a defense to property torts.... otherwise Jack and the gang could obliterate the Others...

In other news... my day has been looking up. I finished the Barbri assignments by 6- improved to almost 60% on the torts MBEs. We made a good spaghetti dinner, went in the spa, and then husband went to get us some ice cream. Plus, I'm watching Keith Olberman and as it turns out I missed the best part of Dubya's press conference this morning- he got crapped on by a bird. : )

2 comments:

Alexis said...

So Immediacy is very important in counseling, and I am glad to see Lawyers using it too. I bet those people on Lost could have used some good ol' counseling.

hoov, esq said...

I wasn't aware that The Island was a common law jurisdiction. They probably have their own set random and arbitrary laws. Like Louisiana.