7.16.2007

Flight or Fight

Just got home from Day 1 of the 3-day PMBR workshop. I had seriously considered ditching out of the 3 day in lieu of on my own study.... but I'm glad I went. In my opinion, forcing yourself to do a full 200 HARD questions in timed test conditions can never be a waste of time.

As for the rumors, this test was definitely harder than what the actual bar exam will be. I scored 122/200 for a 61%. However, the answers and explanations booklet says you should add 36 to this raw score to get your scaled score becuase they have eliminated the "give me" easy questions that typically represent as many as 20 questions on the real exam. They also have a chart that allegedly compares you to other testtakers based on their approximations. According to that chart, anything over a 120 is over 90th percentile on a national PMBR scale. So I'm feeling good.

I am going to go to Days 2 & 3. This is a decision I made while taking the test today. The fact is, there were some questions on today's test that I need explained and as productive as I have been lately, I also know that I haven't been fully reading the explanations like I should be to get full value out of the practice questions. Plus, my stamina is waining and I figure this will be a good way to count sitting and listening as study time.

On the schedule other than that... tonight is remedies which shouldn't take too long because so much of it piggy-backs on other subjects. Tomorrow is Community Property and Wednesday is Trusts/Wills. I put those on the PMBR days because I'm already feeling pretty strong about them. In addition to making my attack outline and doing a final review of each of those subjects, the daily plan is to outline at least 2 essays and simulate 1 in that subject. If I have time, I'm also aiming for 50 mixed set MBEs and 1 random essay per day.

As for my emotional health... On my run last night, I cried- just really let it all out. But then I had a moment of clarity- there's really nothing to be sad about, and not much to be scared about at this point. I am ready, and a week from tomorrow I will be even more ready. And after that... life just gets so much better- I am a lucky girl and I have a lot to look forward to. I definitely feel like my body is in flight or fight mode at this point. So I just have to keep fighting.

4 comments:

ATC said...

crying feels good, i'm a guy, i don't think i'm supposed to cry. except when girls are mean to me.

Anonymous said...

Well, congrats on the MBE score. Me and most of my classmates barely broke 50% correct during PMBR, if that. I would, however, offer the unsolicted advice that perhaps spending the nextt 2 full days listening to the PMBR tool recite the answers and explanations from the answer key might not be the best use of your time (that's literally what they do, for hours on end). If you're scoring that well right now, you might want to turn your attention to some essay subjects or PTs that might be giving you trouble (or maybe you're doing just as well with writing, in which case, PMBR the days away!)

I have little to say about PMBR that's good. I found it to be a waste of time, and did not attend the 2nd or 3rd days, and thank god I didn't because I used those days to get handle on CA specific subjects for essays, some of which ended up on my July '06 Bar exam!

Regardless of what your plan turns out to be, good luck next week!!

Amanda said...

thanks for the advice- i figure if i'm going crazy with boredom at lunch time i can go home and read the rest alone : )

Unknown said...

Do you trust the PMBR percentile chart? I scored in the 90th percentile too but I think they might be low-balling the scores in order to make everyone feel better about themselves. I, personally, hate testing psychology moves like that because I feel like I can control my own psychology. Anyway, do you really think over 120 puts you in the 90th percentile, I'm suspicious?